Ishi Tib

New Recruit
Tusken Raider "Tatooine Camp Ambush"

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 379
New figure line

Very detailed and informative description. I think these figures look fantastic but I have a few issues.

Hasbro has a problem lately of giving too much of a spectacular stance with their figures to a point I believe they should be left as a display statue. My 8 year old son enjoys the Ep.1 & 2 figures. I don't find these new figures able to withstand play. They break easier than vintage, have too many ridiculous accessories that get lost, and are quite limited to imaginative use. When I clean out my son's drawer and find a blue electric streak from whoevers finger tips their is no way to tell who it came from. Mind you alot of these new figures are beautiful, but they should be designed for their purpose... children.

I prefer the concept of vintage. The figures stood well, came basically with 1 accessory, and almost any figure could fit into any pilot chair of any vehicle leaving children the ability to create their own story line. This concept is educational and handy for kids with a limited collection (Walrusman driving an AT-AT).

The Star Wars action figure line would be better if Hasbro combined the simplicity of vintage with the detail of modern. They should bring back fabric capes, reduce the accessories, and redesign the articulation ability of the joints. If they do this and incorperate the modern use of chains (Tusken w/Massiff), the attention to detail, and the quality of paint and shading they would have a better multi-use product instead of a semi-poseable statue.

CoruscantCosta

Ewok Cheif
Arent children meant to lose little items like that? I dont know.

But, for all of us that keep our figures carded (and loose), I think the saga figures were really great.

And, I have never seen a SW figure break in my entire life. Except for when my dog ripped off all of gasganos arms.

I dont see what your complaining about really. Although I do hate all of the stupid protruding knobs that give the figure stupid moves.

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
Well, it seems that Hasbro is actually listening to all the complaints we've given about useless action features incorporating distracting levers and wheels and taking away the overall aesthetics of a sculpt.

Collection 1 has been mainly responsible for putting out all these "fantastic" action features?? but this will end starting with "Luke Skywalker" Throne Room wave, due out sometime in August, and will focus then more on Clone Wars, the new E.U concept.

Whether or not Clone Wars will offer such unpleasant gadgetry is unknown, but as far as for the rest of 2003 is concerned, we will not be seeing them anymore, at least not as part of Collection 1 and the characters seen in the films. Hopefully the Clone Wars line will offer a more classic, less extreme look.

Another sign of relief seems to be coming from the pictures of future product circulating the Net. You'll notice that after "Wheelbarrow Mace" (as I like to call the Windu figure with wheel on his back), not too many figures are sporting protruding action pieces. So I'm keeping my hopes up.

Collection 2 will continue with figures from the films, offering lots of detail and articulation combined with an authentic look. Now, we have seen the addition of designed bases given to this particular collection and in my opinion, I see it as a great idea; we not only get a well balanced stand for those figures needing support but, we are also getting a realistic piece of their environment. Combine several of them together and, bang! we've created a small diorama. I'm also looking forward to less noticeable articulation. A good pair of examples can be taken from figures already in existance: Rebel Fleet Trooper and Imperial Officer; they offer plenty of articulation, keep a classic look and their movement is prefectly desguised within the body of the sculpt

Although I agree with Chris Solo on the majority of his issues, when it comes to a figure breaking easily, I'm going to have to disagree. I have a 4 year old with a vast amount of these figures and truly, they become crash test dummies in his hands; so far not a single one has broken. So CoruscantCosta is right on that one. Only my Chow-Chow was able to break my Mon Mothma and Kit Fisto under the pressure of his teeth. Also long exposure to extreme weather conditions, too hot or too cold, can have an influence over the resistance of the plastic.

One thing I have noticed, though, is that figures with lots of articulation come apart quiet easily, due in great part to weak connecting pegs (peg smaller than corresponding opening) or soft nature of the material used for instance.

Lightening effects, firing effects and other "glamorous" additions representing action, I've always seen them as unnecessary and leave very little room for imaginative use. Few, very few figures actually look good having them on, and in most cases all they do is bend the weapon or extremity they're placed on. My Imperial Guard for example, ended up with a curved force pike after only a week of holding the lightening effect and my Yoda has never been able to hold the piece of base within his "force powers" without this effect completely bending down. So as far as FXs go, I feel we can truly deal well without them.

We also need to keep in mind, that a toy that "does something" is definitely an attractive piece for youngsters and therefore a good bait to get kids to bite into. I believe Hasbro, has been trying to please kids and collectors thus is understood that the final product of a given toy may or may not be appealing to everyone.

Thanks for the kind words and comments to both of you.

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
Originally posted by Ishi Tib
<CENTER>2003 COLLECTION 1 AND 2
FIRST WAVE
</CENTER>

<CENTER> By Ishi Tib</CENTER>

Making scattered appearances at Walmarts and Targets throughout the country, the first wave of Saga figures for 2003 are top ranked on everyone's hunt trips. Starting with Obi-wan Kenobi "Acklay Battle" as figure #1 Collection 1 and ending with Tusken Raider "Tatooine Camp Ambush" figure #6 Collection 2, the new characters, in some instances, come accessorize with bases, recreating the specific scene the given sculpt relates to within the film.

The new wave is made of five characters including, besides the aforementioned ones, Darth Tyranus "Geonosian Escape," Padme Amidala "Droid Factory Chase," and the short packed Research Droids, a two pack set with SP-4 and JN-66 from the deleted scene found in the DVD's extras.

Wanting to let everyone vent out their own opinions, the usual review on the figures has been cut short this time and, more pictures have been added. There are over twenty detailed images of the Jedi, The Separatist, the Senator, the Droids and the "light headed" Sandperson.

<CENTER>OBI- WAN KENOBI
ACKLAY BATTLE
</CENTER>

The overall look of this figure is lame; Kenobi's pose is limited and very scene specific. Try displaying him without the spear and you'll have him in a very unrealistic stance. There is only one good pose one can obtain from this figure and that is as part of a diorama fighting the Acklay beast.

Although the head sculpt is more accurate this time, truly reflecting a closer likeness to the actor, the spear-stabbing arm movement and lack of articulation offered, diminish the well rendered look of the face.

Obi's right shoulder shows a huge and unnatural joint gap. This is due to the room needed to insert the figure's action feature that allows for his arm to be raised just about a quarter of an inch by pressing on a cleverly disguised button/pouch on the left side of his belt. Sacrificing authenticity for such feature, was truly unnecessary.

The poor articulation prevents the figure's waist from moving and also there is none offered for the knees. Obi will always maintain the same squaring off pose against the Acklay .

<CENTER>ACCESSORIES/ARTICULATION</CENTER>

As far as accessories go, the Geonosian spear is a welcomed weapon. It can actually be separated into two pieces. The back piece is made out of metal, thus allowing it to be held by the magnet embedded in the left hand of the Jedi. Three more accessories are included, a detachable blade lightsaber with metal hilt, handcuffs which can only the attached to one wrist at a time (since there is not enough articulation for both hands to come together as they should had), and finally a break apart column, exactly as the one given to the previous Padme figure, a nicely sculpted but way out of scale piece.

The moving points of the figure are found on a the fully rotating neck, shoulders and hips. There is no other articulation present.

<CENTER>FIGURE INFORMATION </CENTER>

NAME OF FIGURE: Obi- Wan Kenobi "Acklay Battle"
DIGITS: PN 6190300000
FIGURE NUMBER: #1_ for '03
COLLECTION NUMBER: 1
ACCESSORIES: Geonosian Spear, Lightsaber, Break- Appart Column, Binders

<CENTER>DARTH TYRANUS
GEONOSIS ESCAPE
</CENTER>

I enjoy this figure. It is nicely detailed, accessorize and the action feature works well. The likeness is dead on, very accurate, capturing the evil look on the separatist's face, not the sad-looking expression seen with last year's April release.

The sculpt stands well on its own without the aid of a base, balancing the weight perfectly well, even when Tyranus is holding the long force lightning piece. The flowing cape, chained at the neck, can be pulled off and taken out with ease; his left hand holds the non removable blade lightsaber securely and the "dueling action" can be implemented without the saber falling out.

By the way, the action feature works by squeezing the legs together which in turn raises the left arm all the way up over the figure's head. His left hand while sculpted opened and basically meant to hold the lightning piece, can also "force attract" the saber with the embedded palm magnet. The magnet was not painted over, and it is fully exposed, detracting a bit if the figure becomes "empty handed."_

<CENTER>ACCESSORIES/ARTICULATION</CENTER>

As mentioned earlier, there are two accessories packed with Tyranus, a lightsaber and a force lighting effect. Both appeared to work well, specially the lighting effect which it is made of a sturdy, not too flexible plastic, offering a good opening and support for the hand.

The is a one piece hilt and blade and lacks some paint details seen on previous sculpts as there are no silver lines present over its black area.

Although the articulation on this figure is limited, its pose is less scene specific than Obi Wan's, thus allowing for a more natural stance without the accessories. The figure lacks articulation at the waist and knees but can be found at the neck which is ball jointed, permitting the head to be moved back and forward as well as being able to rotate.

There is articulation present at both shoulders and both elbows. The right elbow is ball jointed, while the left one presents the usual peg movement. Both hips are articulated as well.

<CENTER>FIGURE INFORMATION </CENTER>

NAME OF FIGURE: Darth Tyranus "Geonosian Escape"
DIGITS: PN 6190300200
FIGURE NUMBER: #3_ for '03
COLLECTION NUMBER: 1
ACCESSORIES: Lightsaber, Force Lightning