Indiana Jones 5

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
They're still (vaguely) planning another movie in the Indiana Jones franchise, and at the moment they're saying they won't be replacing Harrison Ford. This is from ComingSoon.net ...

Frank Marshall Rules Out Recasting Title Character for Fifth Indiana Jones

Ever since Disney bought Lucasfilm, the primary focus has been on Star Wars, and rightfully so, but there's another fan-beloved franchise waiting in the wings for a turn at bat, Indiana Jones. Rumors have popped up online about the possibility of another actor picking up the fedora and whip, with a report earlier this year pointing at Chris Pratt as the potential successor to Harrison Ford, but nothing has ever been officially said out loud about the fate of the world's favorite archaeologist. Now, speaking with Total Film (via Den of Geek), producer Frank Marshall says they're not considering recasting the part at all for the fifth Indiana Jones movie.

"There are a lot of rumours," Marshall said. "We haven't even sat down to talk about Indy yet... at some point we'll sit down. But there's a bunch of people who could probably take the baton... We're not doing the Bond thing where we're going to call somebody else Indiana Jones... we have to figure this out."

Ironically, James Bond was a primary influence on the creation of the Indiana Jones franchise from the start, which eventually lead to the casting of Sean Connery as Henry Jones, Sr.

Steven Spielberg recently admitted himself that he will "probably" do a fifth Indiana Jones film, though no further details have been offered up about the planned adventure from the director.

A fifth Indiana Jones movie has been talked about since the most recent big screen adventure, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, went on to gross more than $786 million worldwide when it was released in 2008. Following the sale of Lucasfilm to Walt Disney Pictures and Lucas' own subsequent retirement, however, hints regarding plans for the future of the franchise have been few and far between. Ford, however, has suggested that he's quite eager to reprise the role himself, despite turning 73 this year.

Although they are [currently] saying they won't re-cast the Indy character, that doesn't mean they can't do new future movies with a different successor character - "Indiana Jones Jnr" ... nobody has said anything about Shia LeBeouff's "Indy's son" character though.

Plus of course some new brainless twit will no doubt come along at some stage and stupidly "reboot" it as barely recognisable rubbish.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Indiana Jones 5 is now in the very early stages of production. A small spoiler for Indiana Jones 5 from ComingSoon.net ...

Steven Spielberg promises one big thing for Indiana Jones 5
With the 73-year-old Harrison Ford signed up for Lucasfilm's Indiana Jones 5, many fans are wondering/worried that director Steven Spielberg plans to have the same fate of Han Solo in The Force Awakens befall our favorite globe-trotting archaeologist. Well worry no longer, as the legendary filmmaker has told The Hollywood Reporter that he is not only "super excited" about the fifth installment but that adventure will still have a name at the end of the movie and that name will be Indiana Jones!

"I think this one is straight down the pike for the fans," said Spielberg, who would not reveal plot details, with one exception: "The one thing I will tell you is I'm not killing off Harrison [Ford] at the end of it."

That's great news for fans who would likely balk at such an idea, the same way they would be furious if James Bond accidentally slipped in the shower and cracked his skull at the end of a (hypothetical) final 007 movie. Even if this turns out to be the last time Ford puts on the bullwhip and fedora, it doesn't mean the filmmakers have to have the death-defying character bite the dust.

"The opportunity to work with Steven again on this character which has brought pleasure to so many... Not to mention me," Harrison Ford said previously. "It's fun, it's great fun to play this character. It's great fun to work with Steven, I'm looking forward to it."

Franchise veterans Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall will produce Indiana Jones 5, which will see both Harrison Ford and Steven Spielberg return to the franchise. John Williams is expected to once again provide the music, while screenwriter David Koepp (Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Jurassic Park) is signed to pen the script.

The movie is set for a July 19, 2019 release date.

Indiana Jones 6, here we come. :)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Apparently George Lucas is not involved with this new movie either (despite Steven Spielberg saying at one point that George Lucas was writing the story). :(

This is from ComingSoon.net ...
George Lucas not involved with Indiana Jones 5
There have been three pillars for the Indiana Jones franchise since the series began with 1981's Raiders of the Lost Ark: star Harrison Ford, director Steven Spielberg, and executive producer/story writer George Lucas. Now, however, one of the pillars will be missing for the previously-announced Indiana Jones 5, as writer David Koepp (Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Jurassic Park) has revealed to Collider that Lucas has no involvement.

"He's not (involved), to my knowledge. I've had no contact with him."

It should come as no surprise that Lucas is not involved, since he sold the Lucasfilm company in 2012 to Disney and had no involvement with last year's Star Wars: The Force Awakens either.

In the same interview, Koepp went on to talk about the progress of the fifth film's script and offered a light-hearted joke for its content. "I'm deeply immersed as we speak. All I can say is that there's lots of aliens and Indy dies at the end (laughs)..."

He also revealed his hope for an October 2017 production start.

"It's certainly OK for me and I'll be ready, but my schedule isn't the tough one. So I think October — I hope, I hope so. We'll see. That’s a hard one to answer."

Franchise veterans Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall will produce Indiana Jones 5. John Williams is expected to once again provide the music. Harrison Ford will once again don the fedora for the film with Steven Spielberg behind the camera. The movie is set for a July 19, 2019 release date.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
From ComingSoon.net ...

Indiana Jones 5 filming to start in April 2019
Ready Player One director Steven Spielberg revealed at the Empire Awards last night that Lucasfilm’s Indiana Jones 5 filming will begin in the UK in April 2019!

“It’s always worth the trip when I get to work with this deep bench of talent coming out of the UK. The actors, and the crew, the chippies, the sparks, the drivers — everybody who has helped me make my movies here, and will continue helping me make my movies here when I come back in April 2019 to make the fifth Indiana Jones movie right here,” he said.

Set for a July 20, 2020 release date, the film will again see Spielberg teaming up with Harrison Ford, who is reprising his iconic role, and franchise producers Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshal. The screenplay is written by David Koepp.

Famed archaeologist and explorer Indiana Jones was introduced in 1981’s Raiders of the Lost Ark – one of AFI’s 100 Greatest American Films of All Time – and later thrilled audiences in 1984’s Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, 1989’s Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and 2008’s Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. The four films have brought in nearly $2 billion at the global box office.

Spielberg previously promised one big thing for the fifth installment, while Bob Iger — Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm’s parent company Disney — has said that Indiana Jones 5 won’t be the last film.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
It looks like Indiana Jones 5 has also been hit by the rumoured big problems at Disney / Lucasfilm. Variety.com is reporting that the movie has been delayed and will miss the previously announced 2019 filming and 2020 release dates. :(

Come back George! All is forgiven!
(well, except that awful Holiday Special of course.) ;)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Steven Spielberg won't be directing "Indy 5".

From Variety.com ...

Steven Spielberg Won’t Direct ‘Indiana Jones 5,’ James Mangold in Talks to Replace
After a long development process, Steven Spielberg is handing the directing reins on “Indiana Jones 5” to another filmmaker for the first time in the franchise’s 39-year history, Variety has learned.

Sources say, while a deal hasn’t closed, “Ford v Ferrari” director James Mangold is in talks to take the job. Mangold has been put in this situation before when he took over the “Wolverine” franchise; 2017’s “Logan” was a blockbuster, grossing $619 million globally, and earning Mangold an Oscar nomination for adapted screenplay.

Spielberg will remain as a hands-on producer on “Indy 5.” According to a source close to the filmmaker, the decision to leave the director’s chair was entirely Spielberg’s, in a desire to pass along Indy’s whip to a new generation to bring their perspective to the story.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
At today's Disney Investor Conference it was announced that "Indiana Jones 5 will indeed conclude the Harrison Ford-led series while also slating it for a July 2022 release."

But no mention if they have any other plans for the Indy franchise. Seems doubtful they would simply stop ... it is greedy Disney after all.