Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
The New Zealand movie website Flicks has posted a review of Rogue One ...

'Rogue One' reviewed - can 'A Star Wars Story' try too hard to be a Star Wars story?
Gareth Edwards' we're-not-calling-it-a-prequel prequel is finally here, offering the first taste of the standalone Star Wars pics that will continue alternating with official sequels each year.

Flicks Editor Steve Newall saw Rogue One last night, and after going in with high hopes for this women and men on a mission tale, found the film a bit of a mixed bag.

Read the review at flicks.co.nz.

I haven't seen the movie yet. I'll just wait for the DVD rather than bothering with the crowds in the cinema during the "Silly Season", although early claims of a "more adult Star Wars movie" doesn't really fill me with confidence.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Overall, i liked it. But, for as long as it was, it seemed like we didn't learn much about some of the characters actually in "Rogue One". Less Jyn, more of some of the others.
I'm not a fan of spending a lot of screen time on a back story (Jyn as a child) and flashing back to it later in the movie. Just tell me what i need to know an get on with the show. Or, tell me as we go, but spend the screen time more wisely.
There was one character that got more screen time than i expected. In the interest of spoilers, i won't say anymore, but i would have gone for even more story for him.
Also, the trailers are a little misleading

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I picked up the DVD today, but haven't seen it yet.

I'll probably pick up the Blu-ray next week* ... just need to work out whether it's worth getting the "special" release version at JB Hi-Fi stores (it has a different cover, but I'm not sure yet what else is different for the slightly higher price).

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
We really enjoyed it, and didn't really have much to fault with it. I was flipping through the "Art of" book and it is interesting to see how the story evolved from concept to what it is.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Finally got around to watching the DVD. It's quite a good addition to the Star Wars franchise (much better than Abrams' silly Politically Correct reboot "Episode VII"). There is something that doesn't quite fit, but I can't figure out exactly what ... possibly the supposed "more realistic / grittiness" that this movie was meant to have, but thankfully isn't anywhere near as bad as was rumoured.

Heitgact

New Recruit
No, but I have had a couple friends figure out my recruitment story based on googling "Clemson recruitment" and finding it online. It amuses me more than anything else.

