Hot Wheels Star Wars cars (a third type)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Nope, not the stylised cars nor the spaceship / vehicles, but a third type - Hot Wheels cars with "Star Wars" paint jobs (if you look closely - they're even more hopeless than the recent Hot Wheels Star Trek cars) and slapped on a Star Wars card back. Looks like a cheap money making excuse to me, and certainly not anything I'll be bothering to buy. Where are the proper Hot Wheels Star Wars spaceships / vehicles?? :(

From HotWheelsCollectors.com ...

From A Galaxy Far, Far Away: The Hot Wheels Star Wars Series
What happens when the worlds of two iconic brands collide? The Hot Wheels Star Wars series happens! These beautifully-decorated cars pay tribute to the Star Wars universe of film and television.

With stunning card artwork, each of the eight editions takes you to a galaxy far, far away. But you only have to get to your local Walmart store to find them! Start scouting around at the end of the year, just before the holidays.

(Click on the images for a larger version.)

Gearonimo (Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace)

Nitro Scorcher (Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones)

Duel Fueler (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Motoblade (Star Wars IV: A New Hope)

Spectyte (Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back)

Ballistik (Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi)

Brutalistic (Star Wars: The Clone Wars)

Jet Threat 3.0 (Star Wars: Rebels)

Card Back

Last edited:

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I do like the movie poster themed packaging, and the fact that they included Clone Wars and Rebels. But yeah, not impressed. If these were$1, I'd buy them, but no doubt they will want $4 each just for the license. :(

I do like that the Star Trek cars have artwork reminiscent of the 70's cartoon, but I couldn't bring myself to buy any at $4, and none of the vehicles really stood out as something I particularly liked, or seemed appropriate for the given character. :(

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Yep, just a money-making exercise. I have bought a couple of the Hot Wheels Star Trek spaceships when I've found them (in the huge piles and pegs of normal car packs) - they're similar to the old MicroMachines / Titanium vehicles.

Jedi Daniel

Geek Jedi
Not a fan of these, talk about watering down Star Wars. Star Wars should just stay as that, Star Wars merchandise and not crossing it with other brands. It just feels cheap :(

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Sometimes a cross-over works, usually if it's some sort of parody like the Star Wars Angry Birds (although that one quickly got out of hand with all sorts of rubbish being released), but simply slapping "Star Wars" on something completely irrelevant like these cars doesn't work at all.

Jedi Daniel

Geek Jedi
Sometimes a cross-over works, usually if it's some sort of parody like the Star Wars Angry Birds (although that one quickly got out of hand with all sorts of rubbish being released), but simply slapping "Star Wars" on something completely irrelevant like these cars doesn't work at all.

I never liked Angry Birds to begin with so cheapening Star Wars with it made me like it even less

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I've never played Angry Birds, but the Star Wars-ised characters are quite well done. The problem is the company got extremely greedy very quickly and has all sorts of massive ideas - more games, a TV series, plans for a cinema movie, plans for theme parks. :rolleyes: