Reading Star Wars VII

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
star_wars_cast_high.jpg

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
You missed R2-D2 at the back. ;)

I don't know if it's any help, but ComingSoon.net has a gallery of the announced main cast.

Andy Serkis ... does that mean Gollum, Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves, etc. are now all officially part of the Star Wars universe, just like E.T. is. ;)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I'm happy Max von Sydow is in it. I had to explain to people at work who he is. That segued into Strange Brew ... which led to me talking about Rick Moranis. Surprisingly, I had to explain who Rick Moranis is to someone who, as it turns out, has never seen Ghostbusters. I'm not going to claim that Ghostbusters is the greatest movie of all time or anything, but it seems like it should be up there on the required watch list. Anyway, I'm happy Max von Sydow is in Star Wars. I think he's underrated and it's good that he'll get attention from this.

It's interesting that the big reaction seems to be:
  • Where's Billy Dee Williams?
  • Where's Warrick Davis?
  • How come every single character in the movie isn't female?
:rolleyes:

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
They've only announced the main character cast so far. Billy Dee Williams might still appear only briefly, and Warrick Davis could be playing any minor character(s) ... but hopefully they won't simply be shovelling in every character just for the sake of it (as was rumoured for a young Han Solo in the Prequel Trilogy) or to appease the whiners who don't understand how big the Star Wars universe actually is ... it's a bit like asking someone from England if they know your friend - the country isn't THAT small.

Rick Moranis is perhaps a bit better known for the Honey I Shrunk the Kids series of movies.

Ghostbusters 3 is still in the works, so (if it actually happens) that will bring that franchise back into the limelight. (As an aside of bringing back old franchises, Glen Larson is apparently working on a movie version of Battlestar Galactica unfortunately it's yet another silly reboot rather than fitting with his original :( or even Ron Moore's horrible version.)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I mentioned Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Spaceballs, and Little Giants ... still nothing.

I wonder if they'll try to somehow incorporate Alec Guinness as a force ghost. I also wonder if Andy Serkis might be involved w/ Yoda as a force ghost. Andy Serkis' involvement seems to indicate a centerpiece CG character.

I read some speculation that Luke would die in the first movie similar to how Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon died in the first movie of their respective trilogies. Apparently Harrison Ford has very large role, which has led to speculation that he'll die in the first movie.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto..._episode_7_cast_list_where_are_the_women.html

It seems like every article about the cast focuses on some arbitrary gender/race balance that must be maintained in order for the movie to be politically correct. It's annoying. I just want the movie to be good, regardless of the gender/race composition of the cast.

The director is someone that took the character of Uhura in Star Trek and made her significantly more important to the (mostly male) crew than she was in the old series. Uhura was essentially swapped with Dr. McCoy and is the 3rd most important character now (behind Kirk and Spock). A lot depends on the quality of the actress(es) they choose and how they write those characters, not how many of them there are.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
This Political Correctness garbage is getting everywhere. Peter Jackson specifically added a female elf character to his Hobbit movies who doesn't exist in the book. Ron Moore's (so-called) Battlestar Galactica changed the gender of some characters.

There's also a bit of "reverse-ism" involved too. If someone changed a female character into a male, or a black character into a white one, then there would be all sorts of whining complaints. It also happens in society in general - it's frowned upon (if not protested against) to have a "Men's Club" that doesn't allow women members, and yet a gym can be "female only". :rolleyes:

Back to Episode VII ... sort of. There was an article in the local New Zealand Herald newspaper yesterday about the cast announcement and this was the editorial cartoon in that same issue:
cartoo2.jpg

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I don't want the movie to suck because they compromised the story to try to appease everybody. What if the new actress has a Sigourney Weaver-esque (ala Alien) role in the new movie? /shrug

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Here's my attempt at naming everyone.

There's probably a few around now, but I saw a UK magazine called Total Film in the shops today which had the photo and named all the people. I can't tell you how accurate you are (I wasn't going to waste NZ$23 to get it for the four pages of Episode VII old "news"), but I do remember it said that Max von Sydow was absent.