Saga changes for Blu-ray releases

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
ComingSoon.net (via TheForce.net) has some Flash video clips of the changes (you can watch the clips at that link) ...

George Lucas' Changes for the Star Wars Saga Blu-rays

George Lucas and Lucasfilm have made more changes to the "Star Wars" films for the September 16 release of "Star Wars: The Complete Saga" on Blu-ray and there's been an uproar on the internet about the additional tinkering as soon as word leaked out. Thanks to TheForce.net, we now have a list of the changes that were made with the last one, Darth Vader's "No!...Noooo!", probably being the most controversial.

First up, in Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, the puppet Yoda has been replaced with CGI.

{Flash video}

In Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, Ben Kenobi's Krayt Dragon call audio has been replaced. You can watch the updated clip below:

{Flash video}

Also in "A New Hope," R2-D2 now hides behind rocks that disappear as soon as the Jawas zap him. You can view comparison photos here:
newr2rocks.jpg

The next four videos are all from Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi. In the first, a Dug is added to Jabba's Palace.

{Flash video}

Next up, Jabba's door is enhanced to look much larger.

{Flash video}

The Ewoks now have eyes that blink.

{Flash video}

And Darth Vader's "No!...Noooo!" yell as Luke is being electrocuted by the Emperor.

{Flash video}

Lucas is making Star Wars like Joan Rivers now. So many face lifts.
Trying to modernize the original story should be left for the "next guy". Leave it alone.
Its all losing its original feel.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I can't click on any of your flash videos Buzz. :-\

The ones inside the quoted text aren't clickable ... that'll be why. :) To view the video clips you need to click on the link at the top of the message (or here) to see the original article with its embedded videos.

... Trying to modernize the original story should be left for the "next guy". Leave it alone. ...

Hopefully that "next guy" will be LONG after I'm gone, and thankfully George Lucas seems to have tied up teh Saga in too much red tape for any barely recognisable, idiotic, in-name-only "re-imagination" to happen any time soon.

Being on a dial-up connection (one that's had major issue recently thanks to the useless fools at Vodafone NZ), I haven't seen this, but apparently there's a new Empire Strikes Back deleted scene here.

As far as I am concerned all George Lucas has done or allowed to happen has been the equivilant of taking a beautiful antique car and putting chrome rims, a modern stereo and a spoiler on its trunk. He has done nothing less than take a vintage Blue Snaggletooth, repainted it completely and replaced its gun with a brand new repro weapon.

Does anybody feel the same as I do regarding all of the modifications to an amazing mint condition original story and 1970s film masterpiece? It was so far ahead of its time with special effects and now we can't even see it in its original format.

He should have left the original in its original format and then just rewrote and made a new version like they did for Planet of the Apes and let it be judged separately.

aaahhhhhh whatever......

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I picked up my Saga set this afternoon, at a lower price than I was expecting. :)

The pre-release advertised price was US$115 (which some poor pre-order people have had to pay), but last night the weekly junk mail in the letterbox for one chain of stores was advertising the set for US$90, and of course some other chains quickly dropped their prices to match ... it really makes you wonder about the sheer greed of "big business". :(

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
George Lucas has tweaked the Jedi ghost scene at the end of Return of the Jedi again for this Blu-ray release:

45343.jpg

;)

Apparently there's an animated bit from the {whisper}Holiday Special{/whisper} somewhere on the Saga Blu-ray release, but the person who posted that information didn't say where it was or if it was an Easter Egg / hidden extra. Unfortunately I don't even have a Blu-ray player, so can't look for it myself.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I snagged my Blu-Rays today. Haven't begun watching the movies yet. I'm waiting to see everything before I make judgement on any changes...although I'm of the opinion that nothing was broken that needs fixing.

When I got home today I began watching all the vintage deleted scenes. Some are quite extended, and I must say, awesome! Those that are original takes have the British actors voices in them, which is pretty cool (as opposed to the movie voice over added in post-production). Some interesting revelations about A-Wing pilots. Will discuss various scenes more once others have seen them.
And the Tosche Station scene with Biggs.....just like a remember seeing it as a kid. I don't see why Lucas insists on perpetuating the "deleted scene" theory. C'mon....we all remember seeing it. He's fooling no one. ;)
Now, I think I must take a nap, and then begin watching them all when I wake up.
Warren
BTW, on disc 8, when you go to the ANH planet select page, on the bottom left is a link to a Lucasfilm Archive Fly-through. This is really cool....I'd never seen it before elsewhere, not sure if it's something actually new or not.