[NEWS] Episode VII teaser trailer on 28 Nov, 2014

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer to premiere this Friday
It will show first in 30 U.S. theaters before expanding internationally.

For months now, Disney and director J.J. Abrams have teased us with scraps of info and imagery about Star Wars: The Force Awakens, but our first solid glimpse is coming within days.

That’s because the first full-length trailer for the movie, also known as Episode VII - that is, a proper follow-up to the original trilogy - will debut this coming Friday, 28 November, still more than a year before its release in December 2015.

Abrams tweeted out a simple sketch (below) of what appears to be a TIE Fighter escaping an explosion, adding, "A tiny (88 seconds) peek at what we’re working on - this Friday in select theaters. Hope you enjoy, and have a most excellent Thanksgiving!"

Thursday is the Thanksgiving holiday in the United States, and with most retail stores closed, many families flock to cinemas to see films together. Unfortunately, they’ll have to go between Friday and Sunday to catch the trailer, which will run before all films at each location.

Lucasfilm says the trailer will show in 30 locations across the United States this weekend, and then it will be shown
internationally in December. We'll update with details on that front once we have them.

It’s still unclear when the trailer will premiere online. No doubt, it won’t be long before we all have a chance to see what Disney has been cooking up for its first major stab at the Star Wars franchise. For the company's sake, hopefully it’ll come to the web first via official channels rather than a shaky mobile phone clip.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
As well as appearing in selected cinemas, the trailer will be released on Apple's iTunes Trailers website and iOS app ...

Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Teaser to Be Featured on iTunes Trailers This Friday
Earlier this week, news hit that the teaser for the much-anticipated movie Star Wars: The Force Awakens would be shown in a selection of theaters on Friday, November 28, but it turns out the trailer will also be featured online, on Apple's iTunes Trailers website, on the Apple TV, and through the free iTunes Movie Trailers app for iOS.

According to tweets from both the iTunes Trailers and Star Wars Twitter accounts, the Star Wars: The Force Awakens teaser will be shared online by Apple this Friday, on November 28, at an unspecified time.

• The Force will be with @iTunesTrailers this Friday. #StarWars #TheForceAwakens
    — iTunes Trailers (@iTunesTrailers), November 26, 2014

Apple's iTunes Trailers website, accompanying Apple TV channel, and iOS app feature hundreds of HD movie trailers, clips, images, and behind-the-scenes content. The new Star Wars movie trailer being shown on Friday will represent one of the first times Apple has leveraged its movie trailer site to provide exclusive content.

In addition to being featured by Apple, the teaser for Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be shown in a election of theaters across the United States on Friday.

Last edited:

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member

• John Boyega
    • Seems like a decent actor. Looks like he's running from something (may have crashed into Tatooine).
  • Rolling Droid
    • I'm not particularly fond of the design. I'm not really sure what purpose a rolling, beach ball droid serves.
  • Stormtroopers
    • Good
  • Daisy Ridley
    • Has the right look for Carrie Fisher/Natalie Portman. Hope she's a better actor than Portman.
  • Daisy Ridley's vehicle
    • The least aerodynamic looking vehicle ever designed?
  • X-Wings
    • Good. I don't mind the changes to the wings.
  • Sith
    • Seems to be a stereotypical Sith.
  • Sith Lightsaber
    • Seemed cheesy at first, but it's grown on me. I like the idea that it's owner probably doesn't know how to make a proper lightsaber.
  • Millennium Falcon
    • Obviously, the best part of the teaser. The new, square radar dish is interesting and may be a bit off-putting depending on the angle they show it at. The circular radar dish was knocked of in ROTJ.
Overall, I don't feel like I really learned much about the movie. The teaser didn't really make me want to see the movie any more than I already did.

star-wars-force-awakens-memes-19.gif

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
On that droid, my initial assumption was that it's the same size as R2-D2. It actually might be a lot smaller. For example, the size of a mousedroid from ANH. And, like the mousedroid, may not really have a big role in the movie.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
All the R-series droid are basically the same size (or were until Abrams got his paws on things). It's difficult to tell from that side view if it's actually a "beachball" or simply two big wheels with the body section in-between.

The speeder was huge and ugly, but maybe it's a cargo carrying model. Of course, some of the pod racers were completly un-aerodynamic and some looked similar to that - it's basically riding a pod racer engine.

It was a teaser trailer, so you weren't really ever going to learn much. About half of it was just blank/black screen.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
All the R-series droid are basically the same size (or were until Abrams got his paws on things). It's difficult to tell from that side view if it's actually a "beachball" or simply two big wheels with the body section in-between.

To me, it looks like a rolling sphere with a droid head stuck on top. It doesn't seem like something that would plausibly work. But, meh.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
As for the droid, it is uncertain how the head is attached to the ball, but I would assume in-universe it would have some sort of magnetic coupling, since there is no track. The ball from makes sense for something you want to move rapidly over sand dunes.....pretty much all other droid that don't fly would have trouble with this. So far, I neither like nor dislike this droid.

According to one photo I saw online of an printed interview, it looks like McQuarrie once decribed R2, as envisioned either by himself or Lucas, as a rolling ball form. So, this may be someone's attempt to draw inspiration from earlier concepts, not unlike many of the ROTS, Clone Wars, and now Rebels designs.

Jedi Daniel

Geek Jedi
Loved the trailer, watched it over 30 times.

* You can hear a Probot when John Boyega's Stormtrooper turns his back. Also note, the back plate on his outfit is missing
* The ball droid is okay, prefer the previous designs
* I like the sleek design of the new Stormtrooper helmets
* I really like the new lightsaber design. Each Sith lightsaber has been different, and has been different to suit their fighting style
* I like the updated X-Wing design too, still familiar but shows progress. Same with the uniform
* The Falcon looked awesome, love the contrails added for detail

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Reportedly Episode VII will be released in New Zealand cinemas nearly two days before America. :p

'The Force Awakens' NZ Release Date
The Episode 7 trailer screened in selected theatres/movies locally. A 22 metre wide version of the teaser has been witnessed at Auckland's IMAX cinema, leading The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. Even better, it officially confirmed that the local release date for The Force Awakens will be Thursday, 17 December, 2015. With the international dateline coming in to play, that means NZ will have a general release nearly two days ahead of the US!